Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Garden 5.27.13

The garden is really coming alive.  Here's what's happening out there...
 
Soccer Boy eating raw onions - he must get this from his great grandpa.  If he had his way there wouldn't be any onions in my garden to pick in the fall.

Rhododendron looking glorious - a gift from my uncle when we moved in 12 years ago.

Baby grapes!

We finally put down weed block fabric and mulch on the center path. 

Strawberries - we're eating our fill and still having enough to can and freeze. 

Our poor ignored blueberry bushes are properly weeded and mulched for the first time in their lives.

Lettuce, cilantro, greens, garlic and a volunteer sunflower - look how lush they're all getting.

Radishes - every year I realize I need to plan more.  We just can't get enough of these.

Swiss Chard - growing back from last winter's freeze back.

Letting nature do the work - parsley going to seed.  Should mean a bunch of little parsley plants in the fall.

Cole crops under row cover looking beautiful

Egyptian Walking Onions - These are supposed to spread themselves, which is good news for me since I have a hard time growing good onions.
I planted iris along the fence row and peonies by the house.  This year I finally remembered to bring them inside.  It was like aromatherapy when I walked in the door this afternoon.

1 comment: