Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lego Cake


Happy Boy!
Believe it or not, this is the first kid's birthday cake I've ever had to make!  Usually the Birthday Cake Queen (Reading Girl and Soccer Boy's Aunt) makes the cakes.  This year the Birthday Cake Queen couldn't come.  Oh, man - now what?  My kids have come to expect elaborate birthday cakes.  It's just one more way they feel important on their special day. 
I couldn't just pick up a store bought cake.  Soccer Boy wanted a real cake, made from home, with love.  He had total faith.  Of course I could make a cake that was a good as his Aunt's cakes.  It didn't matter to him that I didn't have any of the icing bags or tips, and even if I had them I didn't have the first clue as to how to use them. 
Farmer Dan is the other cake decorator in the family - no dice.  Farmer Dan was on vacation. 
Hire a local bakery to make the cake?  Drat.  The local bakery closed its doors recently. 
Beg a friend to make the cake.  Nope.  She had a sick baby. 
Then, just when I was getting all set to panic, salvation in the mail.  The March 2012 issue of Family Fun was full of wonderful kids cake ideas.  This Ninjago Cake was one of them.  It was so, so easy.  I left the cake in the pan for easy transport to the party.  I frosted it with chocolate icing, and then used red Fruit by the Foot, pretzels of various sizes, color sugar and Sweet Tarts to make a ring and other practice places for the ninjas. 

temple, balance posts, balance beam, wall, tree, bridge

Soccer Boy helped me put it together.  It only took us about 20 minutes.  It was fun.  It was easy.  Best of all - he was happy. 

Go to the Parents website for directions on making this great cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment