Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Monday, May 7, 2012

The Joys (and one annoyance) of Spring



We now have lettuce in abundance!  I'm so glad I discovered fall planted lettuce.  It doesn't give us many greens in the spring, but I'm now able to pick full heads of lettuce.  By the time we're done eating this, the spring planted lettuce will be ready to harvest too.




We might, actually, get blueberries this year.  I'm holding my breath.  We planted this blueberry bush when we moved here (10 years ago).  It's finally loaded with berries.  I grew up with tons, and tons of blueberries, but my mom's bushes finally stopped producing a few years ago.  It's been hard to do without the past few years.  I have high hopes.
These are not our birds.  Our nest is on a windchime under our deck. We get to watch the action every night while eating dinner.   It was too dark under the overhang to get a good shot, but our babies look exactly the same.
 Check out Mon@rch's Nature Blog for some fantastic nature photography!

It's been such an warm winter than the Phoebes have already hatched out three nestlings.  I wonder if they're going to lay two clutches of eggs this year?  We don't usually see baby birds until mid June. 

On a negative note - the GNATS are back in full swing. Blech!  At least it means there is plenty of food for the swallows.  They have to be my very least favorite part of living in the woods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment