Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Monday, March 11, 2013

Winter's Last Hurrah


Last week we used up the last of our store hot chocolate mix.  I don't plan to buy any more, but I'd like to have some on hand.  Thankfully, a good friend shared this recipe last week.  I can't wait to try her variations.  If we get any more cold weather I'll be pairing this with some homemade marshmallows and indulging with a good book.  

Cheryl's Hot Chocolate Mix

 3 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups cocoa
1 tablespoon table salt
Whole milk for serving

 
Optional:  cut the recipe in half and make one half special dark by adding more coco powder.

Also good with the addition of a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to the finished cup. 
For an adult version - add an "Irish" touch.

I'm still hopeful that we'll get in one more skiing day.  We went last week and had a fantastic time!  We joined up with two other families and found several other friends out on the slopes.  Soccer Boy decided to spend some of his birthday money to rent a snow board and he spent the whole afternoon perfecting his snow boarding technique.  I'm so proud of him for getting up and trying again each time he fell down - and he fell down a lot!  I love those moments where you're able to see your kid's rising maturity levels in action.  
How did these two get to be so big?  It seems like only yesterday when we were picking them up from their preschool classroom.  They've grown into such great kids.


Skiing is one of those activities that just doesn't get boring.  I think that we could ski all year if the slopes stayed open.  I know that lots of people are ready for spring now that we've had one big snow.  The kids and I are the opposite.  This morning Soccer Boy was asking when we're heading to PA again.  He wanted to know if there would still be snow there.  I found myself wishing that I had taken Friday off so we could have spent one more day skiing on real snow.  It was such a treat yesterday to be on real powder instead of our normal hard icy machine made snow.  


Joy at the top of the mountain!  A perfect day.
I often lament the end of winter because it means that I'll have less time to spend with the kids and more time to spend in the garden.  I know that my mind will change when I'm able to have one of those early mornings in the garden where the air is fresh and warm and the birds are singing.  But right now, I'd like to hold on to winter (with all of its family time and simple cooking) for a little bit longer. 






No comments:

Post a Comment