Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Monday, March 18, 2013

Snow? Again? Here? In March? Awesome!!!

Having grown up in the North, where we have real winter, I am a snow sceptic.  So, when the forecast called for several inches of snow, but only grass was showing when I went to bed I did not believe.
 
When I woke up this morning in the pre-dawn I discovered that several inches had fallen, and it was still coming down fast.  I knew that this meant no school!  I relished in the quiet.  Got some work done and had some time to exercise and have a cup of coffee without interuption.  I made plans for what how our menu would change for the day, and then wondered what the kids might choose to do with the day. 
 
I'd hoped to get in one more ski day, but, since we've had such a small amount of snow on the ground this winter, the kids chose to stay home and play in the snow with friends.  Fresh powder, and real snow are rare around here.  I definitely would have chosen to be on the slopes.  I'm working more though on trying to be content in the moment, so after going outside to take pictures I came in to bask in the warmth of a good wood fire, and to enjoy this free day with my family.  I can't really find it in myself to complain about an unexpected winter gift in March.
 
Snowed in - the fort in winter.

Boarding in the back yard


Snow buddies

Yikes!  Watch out for the wood pile.

Snow ball fight!

On the Menu Today:  Peaches and Cream Muffins and Bean Soup

Peaches and Cream Muffins - Adapted from Taste of Home, 2000

1 egg
1 mashed banana
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 c. flour
1 c. sugar
4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 c. chopped frozen peaches

Mix together the wet ingredients.  Sift the dry ingredients together and then add to the wet.  Fold in the peaches.  Bake at 400 for 20 - 25 min.  Makes about 18 muffins. 

I used to make these in the summer with fresh peaches and freeze them already made, but they don't actually freeze very well.  They get a bit dried out.  These are much better made with frozen peaches and then served hot out of the oven with a little butter. 

You can substitute another egg for the banana.  You can also use yogurt or regular milk instead of the buttermilk.  The buttermilk gives it a nice tangy flavor that we like.

Bean Soup

This is a simple soup.  It takes a bit of time because you're starting with dried beans, but really it's just simmer time.

I used a bag of soup beans with a flavoring packet, but you could substitute regular beans and bullion or a ham bone.

Soak or parboil 2 c. of beans.  Then add 8 c. of water and seasoning packet, or 8 c. broth.  Add a few chopped carrots, a chopped onion, some garlic, some pepper and a few pieces of chopped celery.  Cook for about an hour.  Then taste for salt and season accordingly.  You may need to cook it for another 1/2 hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment