Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Today's Post Brought to You by the Color Orange

So - it's almost the end of winter.  What's left in your stores?  Me -in addition to what's living in the freezer and what's canned -  I have winter squash (one big Hubbard), a few nice big sweet potatoes, garlic and some turnips. So, here are some squash and sweet potato ideas.  I think they're pretty much interchangeable.  I frequently substitute sqaush for sweet potato.    I don't often do it the other way around, but that also works.


Pumpkin pudding (Gluten Free)

8 oz cream cheese softened
6 eggs
2 c. pureed winter squash
1/2cup sugar
2tsp Pumpkin pie spice, or more for your taste ( or the equivalent of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc.)
2tsp vanilla
Mix the cream cheese with the hand mixer until smooth...mix in all other ingrediants...Put in individual glass cups or ramekins...cook at 350 degrees for 45 min...put in fridge.


Pumpkin Spice Latte
 
8 cups of milk
6 cups of fresh brewed strong coffee
1 cup of winter squash puree
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup sugar
1-2 tbsp vanilla

Combine in crockpot and cook on high for 2 hours, then top with whipped cream  and a little cinnamon.
 
 

Winter Squash Souffle

from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison

A souffle sounds intimidating.  Really, it's not.  It's a great way to take simple ingredients and make them feel very special.  If you have a good mixer a souffle is also not time consuming.  You'll wind up with two extra egg yolks.  I throw them in my freezer to use as a egg wash on bread, or I add them to the next bit of scrambled eggs I'm making.  The family cat also likes it when I have leftover yolk - hey, it's cheaper than cat food. 
 
 Make sure that the rest of your meal is ready, and your guests are at the table.  Your souffle will look really pretty for a few minutes when it's all puffed up.  After that, it will still taste wonderful, but it won't look as fancy.
 
Butter a 6 c. souffle dish, an 8 c. gratin dish, or individual ramekins and coat them with parmesean cheese.
 
Heat 1 1/4 c. milk or cream on low with 1 bay leaf, several thyme sprigs and 2 thin onion slices.  Bring to a boil, then set aside for 15 minutes - strain.
 
Melt 3 T butter (don't use margerine), then stir in 3 T flour, 3/4 t. salt a few twists of pepper and a pinch of cayenne. Remove from heat, and beat in 4 eggs yolks (one at a time).  Then stir in 1 c. goat cheese, and 2 c. of squash puree.
 
Beat 6 egg whites in your mixer with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks.  Stir a quarter of the whites into the base to lighten it, then stir in the rest.
 
Bake at 375 for 30 min.


Winter Squash Souffle, Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Winter Beet Salad
 



Liberian Squash

Fry up some good sausage (pork, turkey, vegetarian - it all works).
Cook cubed butternut squash in broth (vegetable or chicken) and cook for 8-10 minutes until soft, but not mushy.
Make some quinoa or millet.
Layer - quinoa, squash, sausage - top with a bit of hot pepper flakes if desired.

This is so fast, so simple and so good that we often have it for Sunday lunch right after church.  It's great as a leftover too.  I don't think I've ever made enough for it to wind up in the freezer though, it's always eaten right away.


 
 

Red Lentil Curry

This is another great favorite from Simply in Season.  It uses sweet potatoes, cauliflower and any other vegetable you have.  It's super simple, comes together quickly, makes the house smell heavenly, makes a ton, freezes well and everyone likes it.  Winner!

Red Lentil Coconut Curry and Peanut Apple Salad

Roasted Root Vegetables

Peel and chop root vegetables approximately the same size.  Choose a few sweet (carrot, sweet potato, beet) and a few not so sweet (potato, turnip, parsnip).  Toss with minced garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roast at 400 for 20 min - or until tender.

Baked Squash with Maple Syrup

This is as simple and basic as it gets.  It's also one of the best ways to use acorn type squash.  Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.  Place upside down in a big pan with a few inches of water.  Cook at 350 for 30 min.  Then turn the squash over, fill 1/2 way with maple syrup (the real stuff folks) and bake for another 30.  Scoop and eat!

Sweet Mama with Big Oaks Maple Syrup, Roasted Root Vegetables, Nut Loaf

Sweet Potato Gratin

Oh, my.  If you still have sweet potatoes make this now.  You do not want to wait until next winter to try this one.  Fantastic!  I made several and froze a few.  So warm, comforting and cheesy on chilly winter nights.  It so simple to pull together and yet so very satisfying.  I love all of the garlic and fresh sage.  I substituted Swiss cheese.

Butternut Squash Salad

This salad is incredible.  It satisfys everything you want at this time of year.  I saved my last butternut squash to make this salad, and I've guarded the leftovers from everyone else.  I never want to share. Well, I did offer to let a jealous co-worker take a bite, but I don't think I really meant it. 
 

Winter Squash Shepherd's Pie

I made this on a blustery February night.  Baking it in individual ramekin's and putting a piece of cheese on top made a simple supper super special.  The kids, who have about had their fill of squash at this point, couldn't get enough of it.  The original version was from Better Homes and Gardens, but I adapted and simplified it.

I baked and mashed a Turk's Turban squash (any kind would work though).  Then I added garlic salt, pepper and a little bit of Parmesan cheese.

I made two fillings:
Cooked sausage, spaghetti sauce and beans
Bulgur buger with taco seasoning, tomato sauce and beans

I filled the ramekins half full of filling, then topped with the mashed squash. Then I put a piece of cheese on top and baked them until they were bubbly.  About 20 min. at 350.  Pure heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment