Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Friday, September 7, 2012

Western Virginia Hike 1: Big Schloss Cut Off Trail, George Washington National Forest

This is one of our favorite trails. It's fairly short, there are lots of rocks for the kids to climb, it's steep so you get a good workout, there's a good view at the top and it's only about 20 min. from our house.  If you're in the Western Virginia or D.C. area it would make a great fall hike.  I wouldn't recommend this for young kids. Wonderful views in both directions.
 
 

Mini mules make kid hiking easier.  They don't get thirsty.  Bright colored hats make them easy to spot when they run up the trail ahead of you.

I'm a little late posting about this hike.  These pictures are from late May.  Mountain Laurel is one of my favorite spring flowers.

We were fortunate to see wild Lady Slipper.  Wow!  I usually see this somewhere every spring and I'm always blown away.










Wild geranium

I don't know this one, but I thought it was pretty.

View from the top.

The Schloss (Castle in German) from the back side.





Not sure of these either.  I always forget to bring the flower books!


No comments:

Post a Comment