Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Sunday, September 16, 2012

North Mountain Trail, George Washington National Forest

The garden is going like crazy, so I'm still doing a lot of preserving and cooking.  We're fully back into the swing of our busy school life as well (karate, soccer, piano).  We're also making several trips to PA for fall festivals (Mountain Craft, Mother Earth News) and work weekends at the farm.  There will be pictures of all of these events, and a garden update at some point.  In the meantime, part of me is ready for the first frost and good fall hiking weather - the rest of me wants as many tomatoes and eggplant as possible before the big freeze.   In the meantime, here's a suggestion for a great hike.

This is another one of our favorite trails.  These pics are from a early summer hike, but it's one of our favorite fall hikes as well.   You get great views along most of the trail, and since it's a ridge walk it's a good, lazy Sunday afternoon hike.  The only drawback is the drive there - it's not for the faint of heart.  Judge Rye road is a narrow, dirt road with multiple switch backs, steep drop offs and no guard rails.  It's worth it though - just drive slow.

Shenandoah Valley looking toward Woodstock, VA






This hike has great rocks to climb!


Flip Flop girl came with us.



Wild Columbine

1 comment:

  1. Love that I got to visit with you guys this summer! Thanks again for having me! Thinking about making it a yearly trip! Good for me...maybe not for you! and Bonus...this coming summer (if life doesn't change too much) I'll have Friday's off! Longer visit!!! :) love ya! ~Bridget

    ReplyDelete