Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Friday, September 21, 2012

Summer Pictures: Food

 
Finally, I had time to go to the library and upload all of the pictures I've been taking all summer.  Here are food related pics.  Travel pics coming soon!
 
 
The best salsa recipe ever is from Simply In Season - Favorite Canned Salsa.  Isn't that pretty!  I wasn't done canning until the wee hours of the morning, so no pictures of the finished product.

Thanks to Mama Jo for her idea of an applesauce party.  It was a real hit at our house!  Now, what can I bake so that they'll want to have a spaghetti sauce party?  I'm thinking bread sticks?

Washing apples

This pretty much sums up our summer - oceans and canning.

Cutting apples

How NOT to use a knife.  Don't worry... no injuries here!
Churning the sauce through the Victorio.  If you're still making sauce using a food mill, dig through the couch cushions and buy yourself a Victorio.  Only $40.70 on Amazon with free shipping.   It's so easy to use.  No peeling or seed removal in your prep work.  Just chop, cook, crank.  The good stuff comes out one side and the junk out the other.

Yum!  Gingerbread and warm, fresh applesauce.

I made 16 loaves of zucchini bread in one day.  I didn't make any last year because we were traveling and I missed having it.  It's nice to know that this full box is in the freezer.  We eat some kind of bread or muffin at least once a week for breakfast; it's so convenient to just pull one of these out the night before I know we'll have a busy morning.

Cranberry Orange, Pistachio, Chocolate Chip, Date Nut

I did a lot of small batch canning towards the end of the summer.  Here are some favorites.

Dilly Beans
Horseradish beet relish, hot peppers - two ways and pickled beets.

 
Peaches and Nectarines - Nectarines are easier to can because you don't have to peel them.

  Corn from the farm, fresh tomato pasta, roasted butternut squash with garlic and sage smothered in wild mushroom sauce.
 
 
September is such a good eating month.  We've been blessed with bushels of tomatoes, quite a few eggplants, and wild mushrooms from Mr. Mushroom ( a foraging friend at school).  It's made for some fantastic meals.

Summer Tomato Pie

Eggplant burgers (grilled eggplant with Gouda cheese, roasted red pepper, tomato and basil).

Leatherback mushrooms from my friend Mushroom Man.

Mushroom sauce with garlic, onion, butter, white wine (then I added cream and goat cheese).


Leatherback sauce, roasted beets with Asian dressing (sesame oil, soy sauce, lemon), Gazpacho tomato and peach salad.


 
Although this was a long post, I love seeing the seasons change through the food in these photos.  September is such a lovely month.  I walked out in the garden tonight and found more tomatoes, eggplants and peppers, and made mental notes to harvest the shell beans and sweet potatoes soon.  Hopefully we have a few weeks before the frost so I can continue to enjoy this dual season in the garden.  Happy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment