Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Saturday, December 5, 2015

You with the smart phone.... drop it!

Last evening we headed out to see both kids sing in our town's annual tree lighting ceremony.  The kids sang on the courthouse steps, so everyone should have been able to get a fairly good view.

Unfortunately, what I mostly saw was the view on other people's smart phone screens.  Personally, I don't feel the need to document and video every single segment of my kids' lives.  I find it hard to be really present when I'm viewing through a screen.  So, I shoot the odd video of the kids ( a few seconds of a song here a quick clip of a play segment there).  But, I avoid taping everything, opting instead to give them 100% of my attention in the moment.

Now, if you're not like me and you want to save every moment digitally, or maybe you're recording for parents and loved ones unable to be there, then by all means tape on.  But please, please find a place to stand where your phone doesn't block the view of the parents behind you.  We all came to see our kids perform, and we all love and are as proud of our kids as you.  Don't steal our time in your quest to hold on to your time forever.

So, snap a quick pic and then drop the phone.  Maybe even turn it off and just enjoy the gift of the now.


At least I could see the tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment