Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Monday, December 14, 2015

STEM project

Grunt work - there was a lot of it to be done in the garden before it could be put to bed for the winter.  I wanted the kids to do the work, but I dreaded the complaining (on their part) and the nagging (on my part).  I also figured that the job wouldn't be done well, and would necessitate more whining and grouching.  

So, I took a play from my teacher book and created a garden clean up rubric.  If they got 100% I'd take them to the fancy movie theater (Alamo) with a friend, and let them get endless popcorn and soda.  They could redo the job as many times as needed.  




The kids were instantly drawn in by the reward, and got right to work.  One of the requirements was that they share the workload and that they not fight while working.  They did an excellent job of being a team, and over the next several weeks finished the huge task.

We all won.  They got their reward.  I got a clean garden.  We got to spend the day together - couldn't be better.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Love the name of this column. I trust all stems are cleaned up.

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete