Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Farmer's Almanac

Every fall our neighbor tells us that according to the Farmer's Almanac it's going to be a terrible winter.  Every year, I hope his prediction is right. 

I'm a winter girl - if I was in Game of Thrones I'd be a Stark.  Lately, winter has been teasing me.  We've gotten a half inch here, a half inch there, some freezing rain, and even some really cold temps.  But, where I ask is the snow?

The winter that my eldest was born was a winter of record.  Two days before she was born we got 30 inches of snow.  Lately, I find myself dreaming of a winter just like that one.   Or, how about the winter when my son was three.  We had snow storm upon snow storm - we actually got tired of skiing and snow days.  That kind of winter would suit me just fine.

Now this is winter!

I think Winter must be one of those love it or hate it kinds of seasons.  I know some people who hate winter with vehemence.  The only reason those folks stay in the north during the winter season is for Christmas.  I don't dream about going South until spring - I dream about running North.  So, several times a year - I run home so I can get my fill of winter. 

Here's hoping the forecast calls for snow!

1 comment: