Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Laundry Detergent $11 per year vs. $300 +

How much do you think you spend a year on laundry detergent?  This was a question I had never asked myself.  According to this site the average family of four spends up to $600 per year.  So, what would you say if I told you that thanks to a very smart friend, I only spent $11 on laundry detergent this year?  Wow!  That's a huge difference.

Want to learn more?  Go here for the recipe.  It takes about 15 minutes to make aa batch of concentrate - which lasts our family about six months.

Last week I shared a bottle of homemade laundry detergent with our wonderful school secretary.  In exchange she sent this recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent.  

Mix together 2 cups borax, 2 cups washing soda, 2 cups lemi shine (find at Walmart with dish washing detergents, close to the dish scrubbers) and 1 cup kosher salt. Mix together. Use 1 tablespoon per load. Side note: The lemi shine makes the mixture cake very hard. Keep the lemi shine separate and just add a bit when you add the detergent. If you mix it with the rest of the ingredients you will have to chisel it out.

What other cleaning/money saving tips do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment