Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Now The Green Blade Rises

“If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write.”
Martin Luther
 
Earlier today I wrote here about gun control.  My mind was full of death and sorrow - so after school I went hunting for signs of spring.  I don't know about you - but I'll stand with Luther on this one too... Gardening is a form of Prayer.
 
Just a little Catfishing mom.  Don't worry - no hook!

Pansies and creative protection from marauding chickens.

Chives, Echinacea and more chicken protection
Daffodils and mint

Lemon Balm

Oregano
Forsythia in all its glory

Red Raspberry canes coming back to life

Garlic (and weeds) with more chicken protection

Peach blossoms!  I feel the juice on my chin already.
Lettuce, beets, carrots, spinach, chard and garlic growing under row cover.  Can you see the sprouts at the right?


Giant Red Indian Mustard Greens - in a very tiny form.

Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts growing under row cover.

Asian greens - overwintered and ready for harvest.






Row cover using PVC pipe -  new method with the new beds works great!

Row Cover using wire hoops - tried and true.

Parsnips - overwintered... just when I thought we were done with root vegetables.

Chard - self seeded and growing back.

Baby chard growing from the roots of last year's plants.

After all of that spring tonic I headed inside with a basket full of goodies to make a spring celebration meal.  Soccer Boy is my new Sous Chef- he did the Deviled Eggs and the Rice.  I did the rest.

Stuffing the deviled eggs
 
Isn't this gorgeous?  Trust me - it tasted as good as it looks. 

Brown Rice Supper Adapted slightly from Vegetarian Suppers by Deborah Madison

Cook some brown rice (about 2 cups).
Make peanut sauce - in blender or food processor buzz 1 c. peanuts, 1/2 c. lemon balm or cilantro, a small handful of mint, a few squirts of lime juice, a few T of sesame oil, 1 t. soy sauce and salt to taste.  Add a bit of hot pepper if desired
While that's cooking cut up some ginger and carrots.  Stir fry them for a few minutes and then add a 1/2 cup of water, cover and turn the burner to low.
Cut tofu into triangles and pan fry until they're a bit brown and crispy.
Add green onion and spring greens to the carrot pan.  Stir a bit.  Taste for salt - add some if needed.
Put the brown rice on the plate, cover with the vegetables, add a few pieces of tofu, then pile on some of the peanut sauce.

This was divine - it was exactly what I needed to satisfy my spring cravings and to heal my soul.  I was also super pleased that I managed to use so much of what was growing for our first harvest meal (sorrel, Asian greens, onion, garlic scapes, mint, lemon balm, sorrel and chives all made their way to the table).

No comments:

Post a Comment