Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Friday, February 1, 2013

Fort Firewood


The Woodsman and I were talking about firewood tonight.  He has enough wood cut, split and stacked for at least the next winter (probably at least the next two winters).  He works hard to cut, haul, split and stack wood during the spring, fall and winter.  Summer is the season when he relaxes most - he's learned that summer (at least in our humid, gnat plagued corner of the world) is a terrible time to be working with wood. 

I'm just about the opposite.  I work really hard three seasons of the year (spring, summer and fall) growing and processing food.  Then during January, February and March I have some down time.  I don't cook much from scratch, and when I do I use staples from the pantry (like vegetable bullion, dried onions, garlic powder, etc.) that require much less prep time. 

William Blake said, "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy."  I really understand this view.  Winter is the time when I get to sit down and relax.  I read more.  I knit more.  But mostly, I find more time to spend with my kids.  We play games.  We read together more.  We ski together, and I find time to enjoy and appreciate their creations like this fort made of firewood.  The Woodsman assures me that it will not collapse and crush their precious skulls.  I'll have to suspend my anxious heart and trust him on this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment