Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Life of Pie




Four Pies for Thanksgiving

Sometimes I have a hard time making decisions.  This was one of those times.  I'm bringing the pies for our family Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.  A slightly less adventurous  crazy woman would have made plain old pumpkin just like Grandma has done for the past 60 years.  But, I have a small addiction.  I'm guessing that some of your suffer too. 
 
I can't stop reading, clipping and trying new recipes.  I also have a really hard time making decisions about desserts - they all just sounded so good. 
 
I started this process on Sunday.  I baked down a huge Cushaw pumpkin (a gift from my dentist - love living in the country).  Then yesterday I made a double batch of pie crust.  This afternoon I tossed all of the pulp into my Vita Mix and let it churn it into silky smoothness.
 
Then I started baking pies.  The whole house smells fantastic.The kids were really irritated with me because I wouldn't let them taste anything.  It didn't even take that long because I had a lot of the prep work done.  Now, I only have one problem.
 
Which one do I eat tomorrow?




Step 1:  Roast and remove skin
Step 2:  Puree in blender or food processor


Step 3:  Pies!
 
 

Pumpkin Pie from Jane at Thy Hand

Sweet Potato Pie another great one from Jane at Thy Hand

Pumpkin Chocolate Cheese Cake from the Simply In Season Blog 

and one non-pumpkin
 

Chocolate Bourbon Pecan

This one came from our local steak house: Joe's.
 
It was the easiest pie to make - also the least local and least healthy.  But it had a wonderful heady smell.  I had to stop myself from taking a shot of bourbon while I cooked.  After all, it was only 2 in the afternoon. 
 
Put 2 oz. of chopped baking chocolate and 1 1/2 c. of pecan halves on the bottom of a pie shell.
 
Then Mix together
 
1/4 c. softened butter
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. dark Karo syrup
 
Add  1/2 t. vanilla,  3 T bourbon and 1/4 t. salt
 
Pour mixture over nuts/chocolate.
Bake at 350 for 45 min.  May need to bake 15 more if it is not quite set.
 
What was on your table?


No comments:

Post a Comment