Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Sunday, November 18, 2012

35 to the 24th



Yesterday I wrapped the out of town gifts that need to be mailed and got them into a box.  I got out the kid's Christmas and Hanukkah books and we officially kicked off the holiday season with a reading of Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins.  Note:  we have no Jewish ties, but we think it's important to expose the kids to other religious traditions - Hanukkah is one way to talk about, and appreciate Judaism.

Today I addressed and wrote about a quarter of the Christmas cards, and the kids and I baked (and froze) two kinds of cookies.

This week I plan to:
1) Order the remaining few things I need online
2) mail out of town gift packages
3) wrap presents that belong at the farm -the kids will help with this- they'll decorate plain brown wrapping paper (saved from last year's packaging materials from items ordered online)
4) take said presents with me when we go there for Thanksgiving so they can sit in my mom's house instead of mine
5) Decorate the kitchen and the living room with the family on Wednesday afternoon.  This way the house will be clean and ready for Advent when we return.
6)  Buy the few things left on my list when I shop with my sister on Black Friday.  I'll also stock up on some clothes the kids need because the sale are good.
7)  Start wrapping family gifts and addressing more cards on Sunday.

So far I'm on track to just be able to enjoy the holiday with my family.  Today's cookie baking session was a perfect example.  By just doing two varieties there was no stress, and not too much clean up.  The kids and I had a great bonding time, and I didn't feel like I was chained to the oven for hours.

Here's what we made today:

Jan's Lemon Bars

Cut together and spread in greased jelly roll pan.
2 c. flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. butter
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes at 350

Mix together:
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
Spread over the top of the baked crust and bake for 20 - 25 min. at 350
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Cut when lukewarm.


Mrs. B's Monster Cookies

So called because of the monster amount they make.
(We cut this in half - 200 cookies just seemed CRAZY!)

Cream together:
1/4 c. vanilla
1 doz. eggs
1 1b. margarine
2 lbs. brown sugar
4 cups white sugar
Then add 3 lbs. peanut butter

Mix in 18 cups oatmeal
8 t. baking soda
1 lb. M&Ms
1 lb. chocolate chips
1 lb. walnuts
2 c. raisins

Drop by tablespoons on greased baking sheets.  Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes.  These are a softer cookie.  They're gluten free, and they make a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment