Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Unplugged

Cherries and Egg and Lettuce Salad for lunch
I tend to go mostly unplugged during the summer. Here's what we've been up to the past few weeks.

Roasted Cauliflower

Soccer Boy planting his bean tipi with a digging stick.

Moon Flowers, Scarlet Runner beans, Calico Limas and Christmas Limas

A never ending game of monopoly.  I finally started trying to lose on the third day. 
Soccer Boy and the Woodsman are STILL playing.

The Class Pets went with us on our River Trip.

Happy 68th birthday Dad!  We celebrated on the river.

Swimming:  the best part of being on the river.

Learning to whittle with Pap Pap

One way to carry less from the campsite to the boat is to wear it all.

Reading Girl decided that this was the best place to ride.  Soccer Boy really learned how to paddle.

A few blueberries -finally.  Garlic.  Carrot, radish and Dinosaur Kale thinnings.
Braiding Garlic

Huge Elephant Garlic!


Drying Garlic on the porch - The Woodsman says this keeps us safe from Vampires.





Summer school is going well. We've written some decent poems, and both kids have been reading machines.
 Reading Girl has whipped through the first four in the 39 Clues.
 Soccer Boy has read a Magic Tree House book and has now started in on The Spiderwick Chronicles. 

I finished reading the third book in the Pelinor Series:  The Crow.

We've also managed to take a trip to our favorite State Park (Trout Pond), had a play date and movie day (A Dolphin Tale) with friends, and visited the library for a special summer reading program (which is why I'm writing today).

 Summer is full of simple pleasures too.  There is plenty of time to clean and reorganize.  I had time to make something fresh and fantastic for dinner.  I get to sleep in (I've been up at 6:00 instead of 4:30), and I still have time for a good workout or hike before the day really heats up. 

Happy Summer Solstice Everyone!  I'm heading outside to celebrate.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment