Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Food I Never Buy - Part I: Mayo

The garden is coming along.  I'm picking the first tomatoes - in our house those first gems are saved for tomato mayo sandwiches.  

There are some things I just don't buy at the store.  Mayo is one of them.  There is simply no comparison between homemade mayo and store bought.  They shouldn't even have the same name.  Homemade mayo (especially when you use eggs from your free range chickens) is rich and flavorful.  It's not bitter or tangy.  The recipe below is adapted from Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It by Karen
Solomon.   Try this once and you'll never buy the store stuff again.     


Homemade Mayo

2 eggs (room temperature)  
2 t. salt (kosher or sea salt)
2T. lemon juice
1 t. dry mustard
2 c. oil (canola works best)   


Add eggs, salt, lemon juice and mustard to your food processor.  Put the lid on and slowly drizzle in the oil. 
                                                        
In no time at all you have beautiful, tasy mayo.  That's it!




No comments:

Post a Comment