Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Monday, April 18, 2016

Spring Things

Although we've had some chilly nights, a little bit of snow and some frosts it is absolutely spring around here.  

These were on the table the same day that we had snow and the menu was a turkey with all the fixings.
We were a little calendar confused.

The boy turned 11 in March and has jumped into grown up things:  splitting wood with an 8 lb. maul (that's heavier than his dad's), running the chain saw, mowing with the riding lawn mower, and this weekend hunting turkey for the first time.

He saved his money and bought a ukelele.  I keep feeling like we need to go to Hawaii.

The hammock is up - we pledge to use it more.

First Harvest - Aparagus, onions and garlic for me; cat nip for the kitties.

When my Francophile, mushroom loving friend stops in I revel in spoiling him a little with things my family won't eat.  This time around -  a mushroom popover pie (Molly Katzen's The Heart of the Plate) with a ham and asparagus topping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment