Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Pivot Point

My students and I have been reading To Kill A Mockingbird.  Lately, as part of our discussion, I asked them to think about the pivot points in their lives.  I have many.  Getting married, becoming a mother - those are probably the biggest.  However, since I've found that kids often relate better when you stretch back to the remember when times, I decided to write about a pivot point from high school.  Here is what I wrote in class today.

One of the huge pivot points of my life came when I was twelve.  I played coronet in the 7th grade band.  I don't remember if it was the first rehearsal, or not.  But, sometime, during the beginning of that year, I met my best friend.

I can't even begin to fathom how different my life would be if I hadn't met J.  My politics, my sense of self, the books I read, the music I listen to, the experiences I had, my empathy to my students, probably even my career choice itself, have all be irrevocably shaped by him.

While there have been other giant pivot points in my life - meeting J and getting to know him almost as well as I know myself changed me forever.

10th grade winter formal. I'm in black, J is in plaid.  The fashion is questionable, but the evening was great.

"I don't know if I've been changed for the better. 

 But, because I knew you, I have been changed for good."   - Wicked




This summer.  Personally, I think we look better - and we're certainly happier.  I may go to high school every day, but I'm glad that's not still my world.  Here's to good friends who have been with you forever.  Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment