Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Monday, September 28, 2015

Almost Done

With the exception of applesauce, which we'll do at the farm with my parents in mid-October, I'm finished with the harvest and with processing.  I didn't keep an exact count of what went into the freezer, but here's an approximate list of what we have ready for the winter.

 This weekend:
 - butchered three roosters; two went into the freezer
 - harvested a bushel of sweet potatoes
 - canned 21 quarts of spaghetti sauce and 14 pints of pizza sauce

Previously processed:
42 pints salsa
5 gallons sliced peaches
30 pints berries
2 gallons green beans
20 quarts tomatoes
3 gallons corn
2 bushels potatoes
3 bushels winter squash

What's left in the garden:

 - a handful of winter squash that looked like they should grow more
 - a few carrots, parsnips and beets that probably won't amount to much
 -  a handful of tomatoes that are mostly cracking and being eaten by slugs before I get to them
 - two nice rows of fall/winter kale
 - a long row of very tall, very pretty zinnias which will last until the frost


I think we're ready for winter.  Let it snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment