Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

When Life Gives You Zucchini....

Are you drowning in zucchini?  We are.   The freezer is full of breads, zucchini based casseroles, and chopped zucchini ready for winter soups.  I'm grilling it, sauteing it, adding it to stir fries and quesadillas.  It's everywhere.  Unfortunately, the kids have declared a loathing for all things squash related.  

This is a problem for them as I don't have much sympathy. Zucchini is what's in the garden, and zucchini is what we're eating.  I keep soldiering away and putting new recipes on their plates, and mostly they're rejected.  So when I made a variation of Melissa D'Arabian's Zucchini Pizza Bites I assumed they get the same no vote from the kids.  

Wrong - both kids cleaned their plates right away, and then went back twice for more.  There is no other zucchini recipe that causes this reaction - not even zucchini cake.  Even better - it's fast, easy, cheap and healthy.  Hope they don't change their minds because it's on the menu at least once a week until the zucchini die.


Turn your oven on to 375.
Pam two baking sheets.
Cut zucchini in rounds and lay on baking sheets.
Spray the rounds with Pam.
Bake for 10-15 min. until brown on the underside.
Flip them with a fork.
Top each slice with a teaspoon of spaghetti sauce and a bit of shredded mozzarella.
Return to the oven and bake for 10 -15 min. more.


How are you surviving the Zucchini Onslaught?

No comments:

Post a Comment