Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Running Away

Lately, when the girl gets really upset she runs away.  Now, she doesn't run far, she doesn't go away for long, and she always comes back, but she still runs.  The last time she went away I told her that everyone needs to run away sometimes.  Don't you think that's true?

I run away frequently.  I run away to the woods - that's why I hike with just the dogs frequently, and why I backpack.  I run away to the city - nothing like leaving all responsibilities behind and being spoiled for a while.  I run away with music - isn't it fun to crank the radio and drive by yourself?  I frequently run away in a book - that's the whole point of reading, right?  Sometimes, I even run away with someone else.  Last week the Woodsman and I took an anniversary trip (18 years folks) and headed off without the kids to the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York.

We paddled almost every day (Keuka, Cayuga, and an attempted paddle at Honeoye which got rained out).  We biked every day (the Keuka Outlet trail between Penn Yan and Dresden is awesome).  We went out to dinner (love Moosewood in Ithaca and found a great little pub in Penn Yan).  We also visited a copious amount of wineries, breweries and distilleries).  It was a great little trip.  We came back ready to tackle the last of our to do lists, and prepared to start the school year.  It's good to run away.

Taughannock Falls - Ithaca

Orchid Room at Sonneburg Gardens

Italian Garden at Sonnenburg

Pan Statue in the Rock Garden at Sonnenburg Gardens

View of Keuka Lake frome Dr. Frank Konstantin Vinefera

Keuka on a stormy morning

Ports, Sherries and Ice Wines

Christmas Shopping - Finished!

Whites and Champagne

Reds
  If you're headed to the Finger Lakes Region and plan to do some wineries (and you really should) we recommend:
Pleasant Valley Winery - Hammondsport
Americana - Trumansburg, Miles - great view of Seneca Lake
Dr. Frank Konstantine - wonderful wines- great view of Keuka Lake
McGregor - really unique tasting experience - you stay seated at your own table in their beautiful tasting room (view of Keuka) and they serve you.

There are lots of other wonderful choices too.  Check them out!  Have fun running away, wherever it is that you run.

Keuka Lake Wine Trail
Cayuga Lake Wine Trail
Seneca Lake Wine Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment