Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Another Reason I'm Glad My Kids are Readers

It's a rainy Sunday afternoon.  We didn't do much for Christmas so most of the clutter is cleaned up, and the few new gifts from Grandma are stashed away.  My mom did my laundry when she was here.  We're headed to a friend's house for dinner and I only need to bring cookies which I pulled from the freezer.  Then ski resort didn't need me to teach.  Both kids are inside, and yet, it's quiet.  Why?

Because they're readers.  Both kids got stacks of books under the tree, and the girl loaded herself up with borrowed books from my classroom library.  So what are they doing instead of whining or fussing or fighting or being wild on this rainy day?  They're reading.

Bliss, Comfort and Joy!

When The Woodsman comes in, I'll ask him to stoke up the fire and then the world will be perfect.

Silent Night Indeed!

I had to duck under the roof of the pillow house blanket and he was quickly covering a magic trick instruction page.  


Full Disclosure:  Right after lunch I kicked them outside for an hour because I could... not... stand... their noise.  At least for this moment it's peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment