Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Voice Crying in the Wilderness



I don't know about you, but I hug my kids a little tighter this time of year.

If you're an educator or a parent, you just can't forget about the anniversaries of loss.  There have been so many senseless acts of violence against our children and their teachers.  It seems like every year there's a new date to mark and a new set of names to mourn.  For me, mid December and mid April are the darkest days.  My mind just can't forget the parents, siblings, friends and colleagues who are still here.  I wonder how they're coping, and I wish that I could do something.  But then I think of how powerful the gun lobby is in this country and I feel totally helpless.

Sometimes I feel like just a voice crying in the wilderness.  I've learned over the years that when I feel hopeless I should do something, or I'll wallow in the overwhelming sadness of it all.  So, today, I made a donation to The Newtown Action Alliance.  Tonight, I'll light a candle and hold the victim's loved ones in my hearts.  It doesn't seem like much in the face of so much violence, but if I act, and you act, and we share our actions... maybe together we can change the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment