Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Aunt J's Tortillas

I wanted to make White Bean Enchiladas this weekend, but didn't have tortillas.  So, I dusted off an old recipe and made them myself. 

I made two batches so there's a bag waiting in the freezer, and I was able to put dinner on the table using just what I have. 

If you don't count pet food, paper products and toiletries, I've spent $4.94 on groceries since December 20th.  That included one bag of brown rice (on sale - too good to pass up), one bag of barley (can't make ham barley soup without it) and one bottle of ranch dressing bought by the Woodsman.  He's OK with the limited grocery purchases as long as the house doesn't run out of ranch dressing or ketchup.

Aunt J's Tortillas

Mix 4 c. flour
2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. sugar

Cut in 4 T Crisco
Slowly add 1 1/4 c. warm water

Knead for about 15 min. (or 5 if using mixer and dough hook).
Cover with a damp towel and let rest for 10 min.

Break off an egg sized piece, and roll into a thin circle.
Cook on a lightly greased griddle.  Flip once.

I doubled this recipe, used whole wheat flour and did everything in my mixer.


More making do went along with this recipe.  I didn't have enough sour cream for a double batch, so I used the last little bit of cream cheese.  I also didn't have quite enough beans, so some of them were bean and turkey enchiladas.  Finally, I didn't have any cilantro, or green salsa, so I used plain tomato sauce and added hot peppers to taste at the table.  Still delicious and budget friendly.  I'll make it the original way this summer. 

We ate one batch for Friday's dinner and I put one batch in the freezer for later.  I love cooking in bulk!

No comments:

Post a Comment