Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Friday, October 5, 2012

A Colorful Celebration of Fall


    There are so many things I love about fall.  It's definitely my favorite season.  The weather cools down, the garden and canning slow down and then stop, and there is lots of time to spend together while we enjoy the hard work we've done throughout the summer.

One of the great things about fall is warm PJs and more snuggle time.





Eggplant before roasting



 I love making Baba Ganoush.  It's simple, it's healthy, everyone likes it and it freezes well.  We bought eggplant from the farmer's market this year, and I filled the freezer with breaded and baked eggplant for Eggplant Parmesan.  So, now that my own eggplant finally decided to produce I can make lots and lots of Baba. 

Simple Recipe For Baba Ganoush

Cut eggplant in half.  Place upside down on baking sheet and roast at 375 until soft (15 - 20 min.).  Cool.  Scoop out the flesh and put it into a food processor.  Add fresh garlic and salt to taste, about 2 T of lemon juice and 1 T of tahini.  Blitz it in the food processor.  Put into a bowl and drizzle a little olive oil on top.  Eat!

Homemade pita chips are simple too.   Cut pita into triangles.  Place on baking sheet.  Spray with baking spray and sprinkle with salt.  Bake at 350 for about 10 min. or until toasty.

Eggplant After Roasting

Baba with toasted pita chips

Vegis ready for making juice

Panzanella:  My new favorite tomato dish.  Thanks Gen!


Fall Field Trip

Last Saturday we took a field trip to the Pumpkin Patch (On Rt. 11 near Mt. Airy Farm) and the Corn Maze in Mt. Jackson, VA.  We had a great, great day! We picked our own pumpkins, headed to the Farmer's Market for homemade donuts and then spent the rest of the afternoon at the Corn Maze.  In a year where the squash bugs destroyed any hope of a winter squash harvest, it was wonderful to have another local (and fun) option.

The Woodsman hauls home the giant pumpkin.



Soccer Boy helped me cut all of these.

The donuts were gone too fast - this was the only picture I could get.

Slide on the hay elevator at the Corn Maze.

Bridge in the middle of the maze


Our fall display:  the corn is ours.  I loved growing Bloody Butcher corn.  I can't wait to turn it into cornmeal.

 A Few Fall Recipes

Asian Cole Slaw

Fast, simple, wonderful and the kids gobbled it up.  This would make a great Thanksgiving side dish.  I omitted the baked tofu.

Transitional Season Curry

Put a large handful of chopped basil, garlic and fresh ginger into a skillet.  Saute for a while.  Add a half a can of coconut milk and vegis of your choice.  I added sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots and cabbage.

Sauerkraut

This is the first time I'm trying to make sauerkraut in years.  It's quite simple.  I shredded the cabbage, layered it with salt and tamped it down tight.  I then moved it to the basement to ferment and cure for six weeks.  I'll get back to you.

 

Asian Slaw


Transitional Season Curry


Sauerkraut:  Week 1

Tamped down kraut.  I covered it with a water filled zip lock back to form an air lock.

Garden

It's almost done.  I harvested the last big crops last week (dry beans, carrots and sweet potatoes).   We also did the garden clean up.  So, there are just a few tomatoes hanging on, a bean tower, and a bushel full of gourds waiting to be pulled after the frost.  The bean tipi did very well.  The kids enjoyed it all season.  We got a bumper crop of sweet potatoes - almost two bushels.  That's unheard of for me.  I think it was the new raised beds. 




Keeping Warm

  The Woodsman and Farmer Dan worked hard to give our old wood stove new sides and fire brick.  Then The Woodsman finished hauling up the emergency wood we use when we get big snow storms.  Here's hoping for a better (and by that I mean more snowy) winter.



No comments:

Post a Comment