Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Monday, April 23, 2012

Using up the Old, Bringing in the New

We had four large sweet potatoes (old) left from the fall harvest.  They were jewels, but it was time to use them or lose them.   So, I decided to make an Elie Krieger recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole with Meringue topping - delicious and healthy.  http://www.wpix.com/health/drsteveshow/wpix-ellie-kriegers-sweet-potato-casserole-with-meringue-topping-20111108,0,2867330.story 

To go with this sweet sensation I made a Crustless Greens Quiche usingthe first of the Goat Feta (new), and the Chard that had overwintered in the garden (old).  http://www.guideposts.org/recipes/recipes-crustless-spinach-quiche

Finally, we had steamed asparagus (new) dripping with lemon, butter and generous grind of black pepper.  Delicious - a perfect Sunday supper.




Tonight I slipped out into the garden when it was only raining mildly and harvested some garlic (new) and some Mustard Greens (new) which had self seeded from last fall.  I combined these in the skillet with some green onions from the CSA, some lemon juice and salt and pepper.  Then I topped the lightly stir fried greens mixture with pinto beans (seasoned with lemon juice, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes).  Beans and Greens have got to be one of the healthiest, simplest and best spring recipes in this house.  I also splurged and made biscuits and topped them with the last of the Tomato preserves (old).  http://www.bunkycooks.com/2011/12/tomato-preserves-for-holiday-gift-giving/

We're also down to four jars of applesauce - who knew that four bushels wouldn't be enough.  Perhaps I'll need to process five next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment