Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Getting my Cultural Fill for the Year

I love living in the country, and I love my simple life full of the sometimes mundane, but highly important minutia that make up my daily grind.  However, I also love taking some time apart and heading to places outside of my norm.  I spent the last few days in NYC soaking up the city, enhancing my brain with art, watching high brow films, and reveling in fantastic food and a few good martinis.  So thankful for this time to feed the cultural part of my soul.  

Highlights...

 - Visited The Cloisters - beauty and religion from so long ago.  
  

My gracious hosts 

Stained glass window at The Cloisters

Courtyard Garden at The Cloisters

Chapel with Crucifix and Fresco at The Cloisters
 -  Spent the day enjoying sand and surf at Sandy Hook National Seashore and riding the Seastreak Ferry.
Return Trip on the Ferry

 - Learned a lot more about fashion.

Hot!

 - Walked the High Line and visited the new Whitney Museum of American Art.

Never get tired of viewing O'Keefe

 - Saw several thought provoking films with even better conversation about the cinematography and content after viewing:  Far From the Madding Crowd, The Hundered Foot Journey, Clouds of Sils Maria.

 - Be still my beating heart - the food!  Everything bagels with lox and cream cheese.  Tuna Tartar, Beet Salad with Chevre and Denver Sole in butter sauce from Rue 57.  Paella, Ceviche, and Watermelon Salad with Feta from The Smith.  The perfect Bloody Mary and Cheese Scone with poached egg, smoked trout and hollandaise from Annabel.  Raw Blue Point Oysters on the Half Shell, Stella on draft and Escargot from A.O.C.

Bruch at Annabel

Perfect company.  Perfect food.   Perfect entertainment.  Perfect weekend.

Photo Credit:  Justin Shaulis

No comments:

Post a Comment