Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Tall in the Fall: Kansas Prairie

After we left Kentucky we made a hard and fast push towards Colorado.  After all, we'd been across the Mid-west before, and knew that it was (for the most part) hot, flat and boring.  We did decide to make one side trip in the Flint Hills of  Kansas to stop at the National Tall Grass Prairie Preserve.  After reading the Little House series, The Woodsman has really been fascinated with the pioneers, and I was eager to see the fabled grass as tall as a man on horseback.  Also, I'd read that the TGPP had great living history, so we thought it would be well worth the trip.

It's hard to do big cities when you're camping and hauling a trailer.  Don't worry - we've been up the arch before.
As we drove closer and closer to the preserve I found myself wondering... where was the grass?  If it was really that tall, shouldn't I be seeing some?  The Flint Hills were beautiful - but where was the grass????


When we walked into the visitor's center and saw the first display I realized my error.  Oops -
"Tall in the Fall".  Well, that explained it.  We were there in June.  Also, the living history areas were mostly closed due to reconstruction.  Obviously, this was one area where my pre-trip research was lacking.

The day wasn't a total bust though.   There was a great old school (even as a grown up middle schooler The Girl still loves being able to play school), and we saw some beautiful flowers and butterflies.  But, overall, a disappointment.


The Woodsman and I agreed that we'll return here another year in the fall - we'd still like to see that grass.





No comments:

Post a Comment