Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Friday, June 13, 2014

See you in September

We've spent the past few weeks wrapping up all of the year's activities:  dance recital, gymnastics program, last soccer game, fifth grade graduation, the last of the big state testing (Hooray!) and on Tuesday a piano recital.

I teach the kids piano, which for the most part works very well.  However, they miss the performance experience that usually comes with a piano teacher with many students.  So, we decided we would do our own recital (with dessert to follow) for grandparents.

It was a huge hit.  I told the kids they had to choose two pieces they'd perfected this year, but that they should plan the recital.

I thought there might be some resistance.  After all, it's hard to practice when it's so pretty outside.  But, they were so motivated to practice that at times I had trouble getting them to do anything else.  They created their own program and introduced each piece.  There was even a piece where the boy played blind.  I'm not sure how many pieces they eventually played, but a delightful evening was had by all.  The best part, they told us all this would be an annual event.





One more end of the year activity today - it's the last day of school.  I'll see you in September.  I'll be too busy being outside and being with my kids to blog.  Don't worry - I'll have many adventures to share when the weather is cooler and the days are shorter.  Have a great summer folks!  Enjoy your family and down time.

No comments:

Post a Comment