Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Falling in Love With the Harvest

We've been making the most of Fall around here....
 
 
This is one of the best meals I've made in the past few weeks - it takes advantage of the early fall harvest and the last of the summer.  I simply made a big platter salad and put a simple garlic and herb vinaigrette on the table.  I made some bread sticks as well and everyone was very, very happy.
 

The kids and I spent a day at the pumpkin patch and then the corn maze.  We loaded up a wheelbarrow with pumpkins, squash and gourds - for both decorating and eating.





 
 
We went to the farm this weekend for the annual applesauce party and wood hauling weekend.  The guys hauled three large trailer loads of wood and split two more (5-6 cords).  The kitchen crew canned 75 quarts of applesauce.  We were also able to harvest the bounty of the farm - it felt so fulfilling to bring back so much from the farm, and the satisfied look on my dad's face knowing that our pantry was being filled from his land made the weekend.  This is what we came back with....
From the farm from left to right.... 2 gallons of frozen corn, 1 quart of dark maple syrup, 11/2 bushels of apples, 2 jars of apple butter, 2 jugs of good maple syrup, 1/2 bushel of pears, 1/2 bushel of grapes,  12 quarts of applesauce, 1 bushel of butternut squash and 1/2 bushel of potatoes...  From the Farmer's Market - 5 large cabbages (for sauerkraut and kimchee) and 4 large cauliflower. 
I did haul the canner out one more time for a very limited (3 quarts of pears with Amaretto) project.  But now, I'm really, really done.

No comments:

Post a Comment