Als ich wisse das Morgen der Erde enden wuerde, immernoch wurd ich mein Apfelbaum pflanzen.

Even if I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree. - Martin Luther

"Factory work's easier on the back, and I don't mind it, understand, but a man becomes what he does. Got to watch that. That's why I keep at farmin' although the crops haven't ever throve. It's the doin' that's important." Madison Wheeler in Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon

Monday, September 23, 2013

Old Rag

We spend a lot of time at Shenandoah National Park.  One of our favorite spots in the park is an overlook of Old Rag.  For at least a year, our eldest has been asking to hike Old Rag.  This summer, The Woodsman and The Girl finally went.  Our youngest had absolutely no desire to do this hike.  I wasn't the least bit disappointed.  I love to hike, and I'm not afraid of doing some huffing and puffing to get to the top of a steep slope, but Old Rag is more rock than trail.  My heart was in my throat most of the time they were gone - why is it that mother's has such keen (and bloody) imaginations -, but I'm glad they went.  I know what a wonderful bonding experience it can be to hit a difficult trail with your Dad.  This hike is a memory they'll share forever.
 
 


















1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I've been wanting to do this, but have been a little afraid:).

    ReplyDelete